Goldstein, Tanen & Trench, P.A.
One Biscayne Tower
Two South Biscayne Blvd.
Miami, Florida 33131
Susan Trench is a native Philadelphian who moved to South Florida in 1970, receiving her B.A. cum laude from the University of Florida in 1974, and her J.D. cum laude from the University of Miami in 1978. She spent some years as an Assistant Miami-Dade County attorney representing the County in employment litigation, and during that time was successful in defending the County against several federal court discrimination lawsuits.
Susan joined Goldstein & Tanen, P.A. in 1982, first working on a reduced hourly basis while she raised her children, and ultimately assuming a major role in the firm, which changed its name to Goldstein, Tanen & Trench, P.A. in 2000. Throughout that time, she has been actively involved in all aspects of business litigation and appellate practice, representing both plaintiffs and defendants in resolution of business disputes of all kinds. She continues to maintain a presence in the field of employment law, representing private employers and high level employees in developing and negotiating employment contracts, practices and procedures, negotiating severance packages, and pursuing and defending claims both administratively and through the courts.
Susan also maintains a family law practice, and believes strongly that attorneys involved in such practice have a special duty to guide clients through such proceedings not only with an understanding of the law, but also with a sensitivity to the emotional and financial issues at play. Susan is a member of the Collaborative Family Law Institute, an association of attorneys, mediators, mental health and financial professionals dedicated to helping resolve family disputes utilizing a dignified and non-adversarial process.
Susan is recognized for her excellent appellant advocacy, and has successfully represented clients in all of Florida’s appellate courts, including the Florida Supreme Court, as well as the Federal appellate courts of the Fifth, Ninth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits. She is a superb writer and oral advocate.
Susan has consistently been rated “AV” Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell which is a rating by other lawyers. She has two published works. One early in her career – Developments in Environmental Law – in the University of Miami Law Review (1979), and the other addressing a critical area of commercial law – The Economic Loss Rule and Fraudulent Inducement Claims – published at 74 Florida Bar Journal 16 (2000).
Susan believes strongly that effective advocacy is best achieved by combining thorough preparation, a mastery of the facts and law, and carefully considered strategy that best accomplishes the client’s goals carried out in a professional and civilized manner.
Areas of Practice:
- 30% Employment Law
- 40% Business & Commercial Litigation and Appeals
- 20% Contracts
- 10% Marital Dissolution-Litigated and Collaborative
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Florida, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1991
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1980
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1980
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2011
- University of Miami School of Law, Coral Gables, Florida, 1978, J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence Honors: Cum Laude, Honors: Alpha Lambda Delta
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 1974
B.A., Bachelor of Arts Honors: Cum Laude Major: Psychology
- Developments in Environmental Law University of Miami Law Review, 1979
- The Economic Loss Rule and Fraudulent Inducement Claims, 74 Fla. B.J. 16, December, 2000
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Collaborative Family Law Institute, April 27, 2010 Present
- March 29, 1953, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America